Everybody wishes to give back to their community, to ensure prosperity for their future generations, and to, as Gandhi exhorted, be the change they wish to see in the world – but few people realize how easy it can be to do so, or how many incredible opportunities there are to affect positive societal transformation. Rest assured, wherever you are and whatever your means, there are both inspiring causes and various methods for anyone looking to make the world a better place, whether you come from our region or from abroad.
One Organization, Several Causes
We are offering a variety of cooperative opportunities within our organization. PAAJAF is a stable, steady source of community support in Gbawe, Ghana. As a non-profit largely staffed by volunteers, we offer many types of services to a wide age range of girls and women, in an emerging environment.
Our areas of social reinforcement include:
- Education: The PAAJAF Educational Institute is founding a library, providing classroom lessons for girls and women of all ages, and slowly but steadily increasing the regional literacy rate. Your donation would help us complete our facilities, and support our staff of volunteer teachers.
- Child Welfare: Our Child Sponsorship Program allows you to help a young girl both in and out of the classroom. Besides a scholarship, your beneficiary receives clean water, nutrition, and health care. Some children in the PAAJAF community come from abusive, risky situations. By leaving a gift in your will, you help their mind, body, and spirit.
- Youth Resilience: Your gift can also support our collaboration with the Gbawe Entrepreneurs Network (GEN), with which we offer vocational training and encourage entrepreneurship. The gift you leave in your will could kick start a successful new business.
- Health: A project in its earliest stages, our free health clinic is still in development. Leaving a gift in your will ensures that the project continues to progress, whatever the timeframe, and we may realize our goal of offering free medical care to those in need.
Many Ways to Support the Community
The diverse range of issues PAAJAF addresses offers far more opportunities for your involvement than a prospective ally might expect, so there are plenty of ways to get involved, no matter what your budget or time might allow. Here are just a few avenues for you to get involved:
- Donate to our development: whether you want to buy our medical supplies or pay for a new coat of paint, PAAJAF’s physical and literal development is moving quickly and every contribution counts. As we continue to build onto the compound, update our facilities, and add current technology to our health, welfare, resilience, and business training programs, the young women in our community come a step closer to a higher degree and a more fulfilling future.
- Inspire, train, or patronize: Our young businesswomen are always eager to learn; they would love to hear the secrets to your success, your business biography, or just some solid advice. Need a hand around your business? Looking to hire? The up and coming entrepreneurs in our Youth Resilience program will surprise and delight you with their strong work ethics and ingenuity. Partnerships are not only a great way to stay engaged in your industry but also an investment in your local economy. Contact PAAJAF and we will let you know how best to patronize our young business leaders!
- Give the gift of time: Sometimes the best gift you can give is your attention. Let us arrange a visit for you, so you can spend some time with our children – and our teachers! Engaging with PAAJAF in person is perhaps the most immediate way to offer community support in Gbawe; Ghana is known for its deep sense of collective progress, and there’s always room for one more collaborator in our school.
- Sponsor a child: Whether our children just need clothes for the school year, or are pulling together scholarships, there’s no level of your involvement that won’t change their life for the better. Remember: of all those successful students who leave their rural communities for an education in town, many come back and pass on their knowledge and experience, insuring our community’s progress for generations to come.
- Sponsor a teacher: If the number of students in need of tuition support overwhelms you, perhaps adopt a teacher instead and spread the wealth around a classroom! Our staff is largely comprised of volunteers; your support can help them add fresh teaching materials and new technology to our classroom curriculum, as well as increase their hours with the students. The more time teachers have to offer, the faster literacy develops in our community.
- Advocate for positive change: Community support means community outreach. PAAJAF is already a strong presence in Gwabe, but we always need more people for outreach and messaging. You can offer the women and children your support by being a vocal advocate. Get involved with politics and policy. Talk about child welfare with the members of your church. Share the stories of these promising youth on your social media. Representing the best interests of those less fortunate than you is the only way to give voice to the voiceless, and the more advocates our girls have the farther their voices will be heard.
- Be your best self: Kindness, generosity, patience, grace: these virtues are learned best through modeling. When we are the best version of ourselves, children watch and learn – and the children are always watching, in Gbawe and everywhere! There is no simpler way to lend community support. Let us all strive to be the best people we can be, to lead by example. Sometimes “being the change” is just as simple as being good.
Want to learn more about ways to support the community? Would you like to hear more about PAAJAF’s work and mission? Have a donation in mind? We are active on Facebook! Feel free to send us an email! Check out our posts on Instagram!